www.piratesbath.com Forum Index www.piratesbath.com
The Pirates BATH Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Origami Puzzle

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.piratesbath.com Forum Index -> Puzzle Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Reca Ra

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 12:15 pm    Post subject: Origami Puzzle Reply with quote

Would love feedback on our origami puzzle!

When creating puzzles, I like the challenge of adding constraints that the puzzle:

1) Have an *integral* physical component
2) Not rely on ANY outside information, especially not standard codes
3) Include at least one solve mechanism we'd never encountered before

I also love if it can be worked so that, when first receiving the puzzle, you think, at least for a moment: "What the hell am I supposed to do with this?"

In any case, between this and BATH2 (the flashlight puzzle), we've realized this approach seems to result in puzzles that Game Control loves, some teams enjoy, and other teams are driven to want to hunt us down and murder us in what they hope is our unrestful sleep.

In any case, I hope you were one that enjoyed it, but let us know either way!
GolemCaptain

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I for one was delighted with the origami puzzle, though it took us a very long time. Noticing the wave-heights was, of course, the big key that we didn't clue in to for a while, but I don't believe this was overly subtle, at least no more than other similar clues (such as the braid pattern on the knot cards, or the central star point lengths on the pieces of eight).

In addition to the points you mention (which are wonderful, and I agree make a better puzzle):

1. I'm really into presentation (which you never would suspect looking at OUR puzzle!) and I loved that this came in an elaborate package that looked like it must have taken many hours to construct, particularly to do 25 of them. We actually chose to stay on site (rather than solve while driving) because we suspected that the crystal shop must be involved somehow given the packaging.

2. I'm really fond of puzzles that are easy to "unsolve" in order to present to friends back home. Though the papers were obviously creased, yours fit this criterion nicely in a way that puzzles which require cutting, taping, writing (on the puzzle), etc do not.

Origami is just fun, bottom line. Thanks very much for this addition to the hunt!
Reca Ra

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
1. I'm really into presentation (which you never would suspect looking at OUR puzzle!) and I loved that this came in an elaborate package that looked like it must have taken many hours to construct, particularly to do 25 of them. We actually chose to stay on site (rather than solve while driving) because we suspected that the crystal shop must be involved somehow given the packaging.

The idea for an elaborate package came somewhat late in the design process. Originally, we toyed with the idea of using a giant memory trap because we (our team and GC) couldn't decide if the final assembly of the memory trap was too tricky and needed a model. We finally decided that the "how the hell do these fit togeth... whoa, there they go!" was a great moment in the puzzle and we didn't want to ruin it.

(Un)fortunately, the idea of a package had already been broached and now we had to come up with something. The shape used for the game, done in white, was intended to be reminiscent of a dandelion puff. While something only recognizable in afterthought for the teams, of course, it satisfied our sense of elegance. We realized it didn't look *a lot* like a dandelion puff, but it wasn't integral to the solve. We didn't know it would be outside of a crystal shop, which it does admittedly resemble more...

The package is a 12-unit 2:3 Sonobe Variation from the site http://home.comcast.net/~meenaks/diagrams/index.html. While there were others that looked even more like a dandelion puff, I had to settle on one that had a big enough space in the middle for un-folded puzzle sheets. It also had to be something within my limited origami skill level and within the limits of my patience as to how long it would take to put together. Still, a very cool site with some really neat modular origami!
Adam

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We loved this puzzle - even though the wave heights thing caused us some serious issues. We also struggled a bit with the whale folding - a couple of us followed the directions and couldn't get his fins to come ou. Somehow we finally managed to do it and got the vital info.

Presentation was great, the whole story line was interesting and doing the origami was just fun. Thanks.
Alexandra_GC

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When we scouted and came across a crystal store named "Luna Sea" in Pescadero we knew we had found the perfect spot to place a clue that was all about a pirate slowly losing his memory - and his mind Smile

I loved this clue too. Although if we had known exactly how much room 25 dandelion puffs would take up in our vans for most of the weekend since it wasn't used until late Sunday - oy!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.piratesbath.com Forum Index -> Puzzle Discussion All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: