www.piratesbath.com Forum Index www.piratesbath.com
The Pirates BATH Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Overnight Pit Stop

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.piratesbath.com Forum Index -> Carnival/Overnight Stop
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RichBragg

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 10:07 pm    Post subject: Overnight Pit Stop Reply with quote

I thought the overnight stop was a great new idea, and I'm really glad someone finally tried this format.

As far as how much I personally liked it, I have really mixed feelings. On the one hand, when we stopped, I was really disappointed to have to stop when we still had a lot of energy for continuing the adventure. On the other hand, once we got up in the morning and got going again, it was nice to feel more rested than usual, and it was also nice to see and interact with other teams. I also have to say I did enjoy hanging out in our tent working on minipuzzles with my team once everything died down. Now that it is a few days later, I'm appreciating not feeling like I'm still behind on sleep from the weekend before. So, in retrospect, I'd certainly welcome more Games in this format, though my preference is still probably for shorter pit stops where we can mingle with other teams, a la Mooncurser's.

As far as the carnival and food at the stop, I liked the concept, but a little misinformation from the lady at the kiosk ("no, you aren't supposed to go to campsite 3") coupled with some ambiguous wording in our information packet ("check in at the kiosk to find where you are staying OR go to campsite 3") led to confusion that cost us over an hour at the campgrounds that could have been spent eating and/or playing at the carnival. Once we realized the oversight, and as a result had to decide between eating or playing at the carnival, it put me in a pretty bad mood. Fortunately, one member of our crew was willing to skip dinner to play carnival games, so it didn't hurt us too badly in the end.
Greg_GC

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The carnival was a little frustrating for us as well. It was very difficult to time things such that teams could get a full day of puzzling in, but still have time to do the group stuff at a public campground, which had quiet hours starting at 10:00 PM. We figured teams would be in Santa Cruz, so if everyone started heading for the campground at 8:30, they'd arrive by 9. Assuming we could stretch quiet hours to 10:30, which we did, that'd give us an hour and half. It was an optimistic assumption, and it really didn't allow for much room for error. But we tried to emphasize the 8:30 deadline at the start, and we figured the worst case scenario was that teams would miss out on some fun activities, that were overall worth about as much as a major puzzle. If they got in late, it would be approximately equivalent (in terms of scoring) as being skipped. It would make the campground less fun, but it wouldn't break the game.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.piratesbath.com Forum Index -> Carnival/Overnight Stop All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: